Find out more about the 2017 Social EnterPrize at their official website!
Is your social enterprise looking for capital support, exposure, and analysis from experts? The Trico Charitable Foundation is hosting the Social EnterPrize this year. The two winners of this competition will each receive a prize money of $100,000, a video profile made by Trico Charitable Foundation, and an in-depth profile in a case study undertaken by a Canadian post-secondary institution. Awards will also be formally presented to the winners during the Global Entrepreneurship Week in Calgary during November.
Applicants will be judged on the scale of your social impact (40%), how well you have blended the social model with entrepreneurship (30%), the effectiveness of your management (20%), and whether you are continuing learning and evolving (10%).
Eligibility Requirements of Social EnterPrize:
- Must be an organization headquartered in Canada (can operate outside of Canada);
- Both non-Profit and For-Profit incorporation will be considered;
- The social enterprise has at least 3 years of sales;
- The social enterprise must address a gap in society (i.e. relief of economic exclusion, relief of poverty, relief of social exclusion, promoting good health or well-being, helping children and/or youth at risk, relief of the aged/seniors, enhanced quality of education, gender equality, clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, sustainable cities and communities, responsible consumption and production, climate action, enhancing life below water or on land, enhanced peace and justice); and
- The applicant must be taking ‘direct action’ to close the gap in society: “A direct action is one an actor takes personally in order to bring about a specific desired outcome. An indirect action is one in which the actor convinces [or helps] another person or entity to take the specific action that brings about the desired outcome.” For example, consultants, incubators or accelerators, or associations that achieve social impact by helping other social enterprises achieve social impact, while laudable, do not qualify for the Social EnterPrize.
Eligible social enterprises from McGill include:
McGill social enterprises that may apply in the future include:
Vent Over Tea
YUMiBOX by YUMiTRITION