McGill startups across 4 tracks — Innovation Driven Enterprise, Small & Medium Enterprise, Social Enterprise, and Health Sciences — will have the opportunity to compete for over $100,000 in cash prizes, awarded as seed funding to the most promising companies.
Key Dates for McGill Dobson Cup 2017
To be eligible to compete in the McGill Dobson Cup 2017, at least one founder of the team must have a McGill affiliation, meaning any of the following:
- enrolled in an undergraduate program at McGill;
- enrolled in a graduate program at McGill;
- hold a staff, faculty or postdoctoral position at McGill;
- be a McGill alumni*
*If the sole McGill affiliation on a team is a McGill alumni, they must have graduated within the last 5 years — the cutoff point is January 31, 2012. The full McGill Dobson Cup 2017 Guidelines can be found here.
- February 14, 2017 – Qualifying Health Sciences Track teams pitch to judges
- February 15, 2017 – Qualifying Social Enterprise Track teams pitch to judges
- February 16, 2017 – Qualifying Small & Medium Enterprise Track teams pitch to judges
- February 17, 2017 – Qualifying Innovation Driven Enterprise Track teams pitch to judges
- March 22, 2017 – All Tracks pitch to judges
- March 30, 2017 – McGill Dobson Cup 2017 Awards Ceremony
- The McGill Dobson Cup was started in 2009 and has grown exponentially.
- The McGill Dobson Cup has helped create more than 125 successful startups that continue to employ nearly 1,103 people, and have raised over 70x the seed funding we provided.
- 147 teams participated in the McGill Dobson Cup 2016.
- To date, more than 1,000 teams (over 2,200 entrepreneurs) have pitched startup ideas to successful entrepreneurs within the McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship network
11 McGill Dobson Cup startups making waves recently:
- Flatbook rebrands as ‘Sonder,’ lands $10 million investment
- Gradeslam raises $1.6 million to fill inequality gap in private tutoring
- YUMiBOX by YUMiTRITION are recipients of the 2016 Startup Canada Women Founders Fund; will be representing Montreal in the Global Student Entrepreneur Awards (GSEA) in Vancouver next year
- Carbicrete among semifinalists in global Carbon XPRIZE competition
- Taiga Motors featured in a video (above) produced by National Bank; also featured in The Montreal Gazette
- Soular Backpack featured in Vogue and Forbes
- ANANDA Devices featured in The Globe and Mail
- Le Centre Magnétique featured in Les Affaires
- UGo Smoothies featured in The Montreal Gazette
- DYME Fitness graduates from The Next 36 program, featured in The Financial Post
- NXTSENS Microsystems makes EE Times Silicon 60: 2016’s Emerging Companies to Watch
Are you a past participant of the McGill Dobson Cup? Want to be featured in The Dobson Chronicles? We’d love to hear from you! Email us at email@example.com